What is SuperSearch? And how does it function?
SuperSearch is a browser extension that functions as a search engine. It sports a very simple interface and at first glance, it might seem to look like a legitimate search engine but it’s actually not. In fact, security experts categorize this search engine as a browser hijacker for it alters the default settings in browsers without user’s permission. It affects a couple of browsers like Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and many more.
If installed, SuperSearch will adjust the default search provider, homepage as well as the new tab URL. It could also install some unknown toolbars and add-ons in the browser which, once again, is done without your permission. After all these changes made, it now becomes easier for this browser hijacker to inject tons of ads into every website you visit online. So don’t be surprised if you suddenly see pop-ups, banners, in-text links and other sponsored content s you browse the web. This kind of practice is common for browser hijackers as it brings revenue to its developers via pay-per-click marketing. However, some of the ads it display are not as harmless as they seem for some could redirect you to highly suspicious websites that might contain harmful content and could cause harm to your computer.
Aside from that, SuperSearch also monitors all your activities on the internet in order to obtain information which may include your IP address, websites you visit often, search queries, browsing history and other data related to your browsing. The collected data may be shared and used with its affiliated third parties so it can deliver you more and more customized and personalized ads. Needless to say, there is nothing really useful about SuperSearch and it could even cause potential damage to your computer as well as to your data for it could be misused.
How is SuperSearch distributed over the web?
SuperSearch is distributed using freeware and shareware offered on peer-to-peer networks or free sharing sites. It is added as one of the extra components in free software packages, and if you don’t pay much attention during the installation, you could end up installing all the programs in a software bundle. To stop that from happening, you have to use the recommended, Advanced or Custom setup in order to get rid of those extra components in the package before you go on any further with the installation.
Follow the removal guide prepared below to ensure the successful removal of SuperSearch from your computer.
Step 1: The first thing you have to do to get rid of SuperSearch from your computer is to close all the affected browsers manually. If you find it hard to do so, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step 2: Once you’ve pulled up the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the affected browser’s process and end it.
Step 3: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Now switch to the Advanced tab and click the Reset button.
- Then check the box for “Delete personal settings” and then click Reset again.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for SuperSearch or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Click on Advanced.
- After that, click the Reset button to reset Google Chrome.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section.
- Tap Alt + H to access Help.
- Next, select “Troubleshooting information” and click “Refresh Firefox” at the top of the page.
- Now click “Refresh Firefox” again to confirm the reset.
Step 4: Open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 5: Look for SuperSearch among the list of installed programs and any other suspicious program could be affiliated to it and then Uninstall it.
Step 6: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 7: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files related to SuperSearch and delete it/them.
Step 8: Close the File Explorer.
Step 9: Empty the Recycle Bin.
Getting rid of SuperSearch browser hijacker won’t be enough so you have to follow the advanced removal guide prepared below.
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now”button.