You will learn bits and pieces of information about the wuauserv process in the Windows 10 operating system and then see how you can fix the high CPU usage of the wuauserv process or Memory usage issues in Windows 10. Windows Update service is the name of this service and you will know how you can restart or stop the Windows Service with no trouble.
What is the wuauserv process?
The wuauserv process is also known as the Windows Update Service which enables the detection, download and installation of updates for Windows as well as other programs. And if this service is not enabled, you will not able to use the Windows Update and its automatic updating feature and the programs won’t also be able to use the Windows Update Agent or WUA API.
You can locate the path to its executable file at C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs which typically uses up a lot of CPU resources and memory in svchost.exe. Even though it is normal, there are times when it eats up most of the CPU resources abnormally. For this kind of situation, here’s what you have to do.
Option #1 – Try to run the System Maintenance Troubleshooter
The System Maintenance Troubleshooter will help you run your Windows computer maintenance task automatically. To use it, tap Win + R to open Run and then type in the following command and tap Enter.
msdt.exe -id MaintenanceDiagnostic
Option #2 – Try to run the System Performance Troubleshooter
The System Performance Troubleshooter helps you in adjusting settings so you can improve your operating system’s performance and speed. To use the System Performance Troubleshooter, open an elevated Command Prompt and then type in the following command and hit Enter to run the troubleshooter.
msdt.exe /id PerformanceDiagnostic
Option #3 – Try to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
You can access all the Troubleshooter through the Troubleshooters page in your Windows 10 Settings.
Option #4 – Restart the Windows Update Service
To restart the Windows Update Service, follow these steps:
- Tap Win + R to launch Run.
- Type in services.msc in the field and tap Enter to open the Windows Services Manager.
- Double click on the Windows Update Service to open its Properties box.
- Wait for a minute and click on Start and then Click OK and exit. Doing this would restart the Windows Update Service. After that check if it fixes the problem.
Option #5 – Empty the contents of both the SoftwareDistribution folder and the Catroot2 folder.
Option #6 – Boot your PC into Safe Mode with Networking or into a Clean Boot State
After booting your PC into Safe Mode and you find that your system works just fine, then you might have to perform a Clean Boot. You have to follow a different guide to start your PC in Safe Mode and once you’re there, select the option to start your Windows 10 PC in Safe Mode with Networking and then boot into a Clean Boot State and then try to troubleshoot the problem – identify and isolate any offending process manually. Once you’re done with the process, set your system back to its normal state.
Option #7 Use the Even Viewer
The options given above should be enough to fix the problem with high CPU usage. But if the problem persists, you have to identify the offending process and for that, you can use the Event Viewer which is used to identify any system errors.
There is also a one-click solution known as PC Cleaner Pro you can try that might help you fix the high CPU usage of the wuauserv process or Memory usage issues in Windows 10. This is a system utility tool that helps in fixing lots of system issues such as corrupted files, corrupted registries and it also helps in optimizing your PC’s overall performance as it cleans out any junk files in your computer and other system issues that causes your PC to slow down. To use this tool, follow the instructions below.
Perform a full system scan using PC Cleaner Pro. To do so, follow the instructions below.
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOSscreen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Optionuse the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Boxwill show up.
- Type in explorer http://www.fixmypcfree.com/install/pccleanerpro
A single space must be in between explorer and http. Click OK.
- A dialog box will be displayed by Internet Explorer. Click Run to begin downloading PC Cleaner Pro. Installation will start automatically once download is done.
- Click OK to launch PC Cleaner Pro.
- Run the program and click the Click to Start Scanbutton to perform a full system scan.
- After all the infections are identified, click FIX ALL.