What is Computer Detected To Be Corrupted scam? And how does it work?
Computer Detected To Be Corrupted scam is yet another tech support scam designed to trick users into thinking that their computers are “detected to be corrupted and unrecoverable” to make them contact the fake Microsoft help desk toll-free number 866-288-3379. Like other tech support scams, Computer Detected To Be Corrupted scam is displayed on websites with malicious domains – when you get redirected into one, you will see the following message on your browser:
“ ERROR 268D3 Warning: COMPUTER DETECTED TO BE CORRUPTED & UNRECOVERABLE. CALL SPECIALIST MICROSOFT HELP DESK AT TOLL-FREE (866) 288-3379
Windows Detected Potential Threats On Your Computer.
Windows Security Essentials was unable to block the virus. Windows detected several potential threats that will compromise your privacy and heart your computer.
Error Code: 0x8024402c, Windows couldn’t install the definition updated. More Information & Support Please Contract (866) 288-3379.”- stated in an appearing message.”
According to security experts from Bedynet.ru, cybercriminals behind tech support scams like the Computer Detected To Be Corrupted scam uses a bunch of different phone numbers to talk to potential victims. This is why calling the number provided in this fake alert as it is not related to Microsoft Corporation and crooks are only trying to fool you into calling the fake tech support. If you call the number given, chances are, you will only end up getting charged for an unnecessary service. Not only that as you could also risk exposing your credit card information if you decide to pay them. Needless to say, Computer Detected To Be Corrupted scam is nothing but a means used by cybercriminals in obtaining money from gullible users.
If you keep seeing this scam on a regular basis, this means that there might be an ad-supported or adware program installed on your computer. Adware programs are known to trigger not only various ads but also redirects to malicious domains displaying tech support scams like Computer Detected To Be Corrupted. Thus, if you wish to never see this fake alert again, you need to get rid of the adware program on your computer first.
How does Computer Detect To Be Corrupted scam travel the web?
As pointed out, the Computer Detected To Be Corrupted scam is triggered by an ad-supported program installed on your computer. Adware programs travel the web in software bundles where they’re added as one of the optional programs included in a package of the main software. So if you install a software bundle using only the quick or standard setup, you will end up installing everything in the package including adware programs. To avoid unauthorized installation of any hidden programs, you have to select the Custom or Advanced installation mode.
Using the removal guide given below, get rid of the Computer Detected To Be Corrupted scam as well as the adware program behind it from your computer.
Step 1: Close the tab or the browser where you see the Computer Detected To Be Corrupted scam. On the other hand, if your browser is forced to go into full-screen mode because of the fake alert, tap F11 in your keyboard to exit full-screen mode.
Step 2: After that, try to close the browser manually. If you find it hard to do so, close the browser through the Task Manager.
Step 3: Tap the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to launch the Task Manager.
Step 4: After opening the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the affected browser’s process and end it by clicking End Task or End Process.
Step 5: Close the Task Manager and reset all the affected browsers to default.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Now switch to the Advanced tab and click the Reset button.
- Then check the box for “Delete personal settings” and then click Reset again.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Click on Advanced.
- After that, click the Reset button to reset Google Chrome.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section.
- Tap Alt + H to access Help.
- Next, select “Troubleshooting information” and click “Refresh Firefox” at the top of the page.
- Now click “Refresh Firefox” again to confirm the reset.
Step 6: Tap the Win + R keys to open Run and then type in appwiz.cpl to open Control Panel to uninstall the adware program behind the fake alert.
Step 7: Look for the adware program or any unfamiliar program under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 8: Close the Control Panel and tap the Win + E keys to open File Explorer.
Step 9: Navigate to the following directories and look for the adware installer like the software bundle it came with as well as other suspicious files and delete them.
Step 10: Close the File Explorer and empty your Recycle Bin.
To make sure Computer Detected To Be Corrupted scam is completely deleted as well as the adware program behind it, you need to use an efficient program like [product-name]. To use it, follow the advanced steps below:
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in he URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.