What is TheTabSearch? And how does it work?
TheTabSearch is a questionable website developed by Clever App, S.L., a company based in Madrid. If installed, all it does is to redirect all your web searches to findgofind.co via omnibox and also alters your browser’s settings such as your home page and search engine. It is no wonder why it is categorized as a potentially unwanted program (PUP) and a browser hijacker. Its main goal is to gain profit by delivering you sponsored contents from third parties this strategy is called pay-per-click. They use this strategy to generate revenue from their advertised content. So the more ads it displays, the bigger the chances of getting more revenue. So don’t be surprised if you’re constantly bothered by these pesky ads.
“We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
We will collect and use personal information solely for fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other ancillary purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.”
It’s pretty much clear that this hijacker also monitors and tracks all your online activities which isn’t good for your privacy and security at all.
How is TheTabSearch distributed?
Just like other browser hijackers, TheTabSearch uses the bundling technique wherein they put many programs together in a single package. Although some of these programs are legitimate, unfortunately some of them are malicious and potential threats to your computer. That’s why you have to be very careful when installing software bundles because if you’re not, you might end up with more unwanted programs than you can handle. It’s better if you install them using the Custom or Advanced installation setup rather than the standard one for it gives you the option to remove the other programs in the bundle from getting installed. But it’s even best if you download software from their official distribution sites instead of free sharing sites to prevent cases like this from happening in the first place.
Get rid of this pesky hijacker by following the guidelines below.
Step 1: Remove TheTabSearch from your browsers by resetting them.
- Launch Google Chrome and open its menu by pressing Alt + F.
- Click Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings located at the bottom part of the page.
- Click the Reset settings.
- And then click the Reset button.
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Press Alt + H.
- Look for Refresh Firefox a t the top and click on this button.
- In the confirmation window, click Refresh Firefox again.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Press Alt + T and click Internet Options.
- Click on the Advanced tab and then click Reset.
- Mark the box next to Delete personal settings.
- Click Reset.
Step 2: Open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 3: Look for any suspicious program related or responsible for the TheTabSearch and then Uninstall it.
Step 4: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 5: Go to the directories listed below and delete everything suspicious in it. Or other directories you might have saved the file related to the TheTabSearch.
- %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions
- %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions
Step 6: Look for the folder named imnhenlnpndflkjebgmgdeemogofccjm, as well as the installer or software bundle you have downloaded or any suspicious executable file associated with TheTabSearch hijacker.
Step 7: Right-click on it and click Delete.
Step 8: Empty your Recycle Bin.
Follow the continued advanced steps below to ensure the removal of TheTabSearch:
Perform a full system scan using SpyRemover Pro.
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in explorer http://www.fixmypcfree.com/install/spyremoverpro
A single space must be in between explorer and http. Click OK.
- A dialog box will be displayed by Internet Explorer. Click Run to begin downloading SpyRemover Pro. Installation will start automatically once download is done.
- After all the infections are identified, click REMOVE ALL.
- Register SpyRemover Pro to protect your computer from future threats.