What is Beam-search.co? And how does it work?
Beam-search.co is yet another browser extension that supposedly works as a search engine and claims to enhance users’ browsing experience by giving them improved search results. However, it does not really provide improved search results but more like modified ones that mainly consist of sponsored content from its affiliated websites. So that’s what happens when you install this suspicious search engine. What’s more is that it will alter the default settings of your browser – from the default search provider, down to the new tab page. So the next time you open your browser, you will see Beam-search.co instead of your usual preferred site – it’s no wonder why it’s considered to be a browser hijacker and a potentially unwanted program.
Another notable behavior of this browser hijacker is its ability to track your activities online by using intrusive cookies. This kind of behavior is common among browser hijackers and aims to collect user information, including their browsing history, search queries, IP address, websites frequently visited and so much more. The information gathered may be shared with third parties and used to generate more customized and personalized ads to increase its online profit.
How does Beam-search.co spread over the web?
Beam-search.co spreads via freeware and shareware packages found on free sharing and peer-to-peer network sites. It is added as one of the extra components in a bundled software along with other unwanted programs and could get installed in your computer if you’re not careful enough during the installation. To prevent that from happening, you have to select the Custom or Advanced setup instead of the standard one so that you can view any hidden and extra programs added in the bundle.
Follow the removal guide prepared below to ensure the successful removal of Beam-search.co from your computer.
Step 1: The first thing you have to do to get rid of Beam-search.co from your computer is to close all the affected browsers manually. If you find it hard to do so, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step 2: Once you’ve pulled up the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the affected browser’s process and end it.
Step 3: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Now switch to the Advanced tab and click the Reset button.
- Then check the box for “Delete personal settings” and then click Reset again.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for Beam-search.co or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Click on Advanced.
- After that, click the Reset button to reset Google Chrome.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section.
- Tap Alt + H to access Help.
- Next, select “Troubleshooting information” and click “Refresh Firefox” at the top of the page.
- Now click “Refresh Firefox” again to confirm the reset.
Step 4: Open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 5: Look for Beam-search.co among the list of installed programs and any other suspicious program could be affiliated to it and then Uninstall it.
Step 6: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 7: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files related to Beam-search.co and delete it/them.
Step 8: Close the File Explorer.
Step 9: Empty the Recycle Bin.
Getting rid of Beam-search.co browser hijacker won’t be enough so you have to follow the advanced removal guide prepared below.
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now”button.