What is Spaceforyou.cc? And how does it work?
Spaceforyou.cc is a browser extension that works as a search engine. It functions on several browsers like Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, etc. It is promoted as a search tool that could enhance users’ browsing experience by providing them with improved search results. However, it is nothing but a bogus search engine which belongs to the browser hijackers and potentially unwanted program categories.
The moment it is installed, Spaceforyou.cc will change the default settings of the browser which includes the homepage, search engine and new tab URL. In addition, it could also install other dubious browser extensions, toolbars, and add-ons. All of these changes are done without the user’s permission, hence, living up to its name as a browser hijacker. Its browsing hijacking ways can greatly impact users’ experience. As a result of the changes made, users will encounter adverts, pop-ups, hyperlinks, videos that automatically play as well as audio ads. These sponsored contents have the tendency to cover the content of any website users’ visit. Aside from these ads, users will also encounter redirects to other suspicious sites that might contain harmful content.
How is Spaceforyou.cc distributed online?
Spaceforyou.cc is distributed using free software packages known as freeware and shareware. These kinds of software packages are offered on free sharing sites. Spaceforyou.cc is added as one of the extra components in some of these packages. So when you install this kind of package, you risk the installation of an unwanted program like Spaceforyou.cc in your computer. Thus, it’s always recommended to use the Advanced or Custom setup every time you install freeware and shareware packages.
Erasing Spaceforyou.cc wouldn’t be easy so you need to use the following removal guide as a reference to successfully remove this browser hijacker from your computer.
Step 1: The first thing you need to do to delete Spaceforyou.cc is to open the Control Panel. To do so, tap the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 2: Look for any suspicious program that is affiliated with Spaceforyou.cc and then Uninstall it.
Step 3: Close all the browsers infected with Spaceforyou.cc. If you’re having a hard time closing them, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step 4: After you open the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the infected browser’s process and end it.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the host’s file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries containing Spaceforyou.cc.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for Spaceforyou.cc or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Select “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- Click the More actions button next to the hijacker and click Remove.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Step 7: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 8: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 9: Close the File Explorer.
Step 10: Empty the Recycle Bin.
Follow the advanced instructions below to ensure the removal of Spaceforyou.cc as well as all the file residues it left behind using a trusted program named [product-name].
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now”button.