What is Allowcontent.site? And how does it function?
Allowcontent.site is yet another adware or ad-supported program designed to deliver users with various sponsored content. However, not all the sponsored content it displays are legitimate as some of them could redirect you to potentially dangerous sites online. This adware affects browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari and more.
Although Allowcontent.site does not modify any changes in the system, most users still refer to it as a virus as it can still perform these changes in browsers:
- Inject suspicious browser extensions, toolbars, add-ons and bookmarks
- Deliver an increasing amount of sponsored contents
- Redirect users to dozens of questionable sites
As mentioned, some of the ads displayed by this adware could take you to suspicious sites that may trick you into answering an online survey where you have to provide your personal information in exchange for a bogus price. You must not answer such survey as the crooks behind Allowcontent.site might only collect and misuse them. What’s more is that you could also end up seeing alarming scam alerts telling you that your computer or your sensitive data is at risk. These kinds of alerts are known as tech support scams. Therefore, unless you get rid of Allowcontent.site from your computer, you will keep getting all these redirects that will eventually ruin your browsing experience.
How does Allowcontent.site travel the web?
Allowcontent.site travel the web in software bundles found on free sharing sites. It is one of the extra components included on software bundles along with other unwanted programs. So if you do not want to end up installing these unwanted programs, you must select the Custom or Advanced setup before you proceed with the installation of software bundles.
Refer to the instructions prepared below to get rid of Allowcontent.site from your computer.
Step 1: Try closing the browser affected by Allowcontent.site manually. If you find it hard to do so you can open the Task Manager by simply pressing the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys.
Step 2: Next, go to Processes and look for the affected browser’s process name and then right click on each one of them and select End Process or End Task to kill their processes.
Step 3: Then open the Control Panel. To do so, tap the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 4: Look for Allowcontent.site and any suspicious program and then Uninstall them.
Step 5: Close all the browsers affected by Allowcontent.site. If you’re having a hard time closing them, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step 6: After you open the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the infected browser’s process and end it.
Step 7: Edit your Hosts File
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the host’s file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries containing Allowcontent.site.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 8: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for Allowcontent.site or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Select “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- Click the More actions button next to the hijacker and click Remove.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Step 9: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 10: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated with Allowcontent.site and delete it/them.
Step 11: Close the File Explorer.
Step 12: Empty the Recycle Bin.
Follow the advanced instructions below to ensure the removal of Allowcontent.site using [product-name] as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.