What is ZenoSearch? And how does it work?
ZenoSearch, also known as Zeno Search Assistant or Adware. ZenoSearch is a browser extension that’s supposed to work as a search engine that provides users with improved search results in order to improve their browsing experience. However, that’s not really the case as ZenoSearch is classified as a potentially unwanted program and an adware or ad-supported program that promoted certain services and products from its affiliated websites by displaying users with various ads in all forms like banners, in-text links, pop-ups and more.
If installed, it will set itself to run in the background of your browser by changing the default settings in your browser. These changes are actually done without your consent which is not unusual for adware programs like ZenoSearch. The main goal of this adware is to flood users with tons of sponsored content in order to increase its profit via pay-per-click. This means that when you click on some ads displayed by this adware it will contribute to the profit that cyber crooks behind this adware program can get. You could also experience constant redirects to suspicious sites in order to increase web traffic. Some of these ads could also redirect you to suspicious we pages that might try t obtain your personal data, or urge you to answer some survey or worse, you could get redirected to a web page telling you that your computer is infected with some adware and that you need to install a program or call the given tech support number in order to resolve the issue.
How is ZenoSearch distributed over the web?
Like other adware programs, ZenoSearch is distributed using freeware and shareware packages offered on free sharing sites. So you could end up installing this kind of program when you install shareware or freeware packages. If you do not want any unwanted and suspicious program from getting installed in your computer, you must opt for the Advanced or Custom setup. Through this recommended setup, you will have the option to detach any optional components in a software bundle.
For you to successfully uninstall ZenoSearch from your computer, refer to the given removal instructions below.
Step 1: Start by opening the Task Manager by simply pressing the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys.
Step 2: Next, go to Processes and look for any suspicious processes then right click on each one of them and select End Process or End Task to kill their processes.
Step 3: Then open the Control Panel. To do so, tap the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 4: Look for ZenoSearch and any suspicious program and then Uninstall them.
Step 5: Close all the browsers affected by ZenoSearch. If you’re having a hard time closing them, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step 6: After you open the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the infected browser’s process and end it.
Step 7: Edit your Hosts File
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the host’s file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries containing ZenoSearch.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 8: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for ZenoSearch or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Select “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- Click the More actions button next to the hijacker and click Remove.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Step 9: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 10: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to ZenoSearch and delete it/them.
Step 11: Close the File Explorer.
Step 12: Empty the Recycle Bin.
Follow the advanced instructions below to ensure the removal of ZenoSearch using [product-name] as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now”button.