What is “Google is Tracking Your Searches” Pop-up? And how does it work?
“Google is Tracking Your Searches” Pop-up is an annoying pop-up that promotes a suspicious browser extension called Privacy Switch. The “STOP TRACKING NOW” link will redirect you to the Privacy switch download page and will ask you to replace your current default search engine with the Privacy Switch one. This is something you shouldn’t do for it may only put your computer in danger which is why this pop-up is categorized as an adware and a potentially unwanted program.
It’s pretty clear that “Google is Tracking Your Searches” Pop-up is just one out of the many pop-ups that promotes suspicious software. So if you find yourself constantly seeing this pop-up every time you browse the internet, then there might be an adware or a potentially unwanted program lurking in your computer. Usually, adware or PUP victims are not aware of the fact that their computer is infected for these unwanted programs is installed in a stealth manner.
How do you come across with this shady pop-up?
You can find the program that this annoying pop-up advertises in the Chrome Web Store where it is advertised as a tool that supposedly help users keep their online searches private. And as mentioned earlier, if you keep on seeing this pop-up, chances are, you might have an adware or a PUP in your computer. Adware and PUPs are usually distributed as a part of a package known as software bundles. These software bundles are obtained from free sharing sites. When you install these kinds of installers, you have to use the Advanced or Custom setup instead of the standard one so that you can deselect other programs in the bundle that could potentially harm your computer.
To remove the annoying “Google is Tracking Your Searches” Pop-up, make sure that you follow each and every step below as well as the advanced one.
Step 1: Open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 2: Look for any suspicious program responsible for “Google is Tracking Your Searches” Pop-up and then Uninstall it.
Step 3: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 4: After that, navigate to the following location:
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
Step 5: Look for Preferences, Secure Preferences and Web data. And then right-click on the given files separately and click Delete.
Step 6: After that, head over to these directories and look for any software bundles or suspicious installers and delete them.
Step 7: Empty the Recycle Bin.
Step 8: Remove “Google is Tracking Your Searches” Pop-up from your browsers by resetting them.
- Launch Google Chrome and open its menu by pressing Alt + F.
- Click Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings located at the bottom part of the page.
- Click the Reset settings.
- And then click the Reset button.
- Start Mozilla Firefox.
- Press Alt + H .
- Find Refresh Firefox a t the top and click on this button.
- In the confirmation window, click Refresh Firefox again.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and click Internet Options.
- Click on the Advanced tab and then click Reset.
- Mark the box next to Delete personal settings.
- Click Reset.
To ensure the complete removal of the adware or PUP behind “Google is Tracking Your Searches” Pop-up, carefully follow the advanced steps below.
Perform a full system scan using SpyRemover Pro.
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in explorer http://www.fixmypcfree.com/install/spyremoverpro
A single space must be in between explorer and http. Click OK.
- A dialog box will be displayed by Internet Explorer. Click Run to begin downloading SpyRemover Pro. Installation will start automatically once download is done.
- After all the infections are identified, click REMOVE ALL.
- Register SpyRemover Pro to protect your computer from future threats.