What is Nav-goo.com? And how does it work?
Nav-goo.com is yet another browser extension that supposedly works as a search engine to help users get improved search results. It works on various kinds of browsers like Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and many more. The instant this browser extension is installed in your computer, a couple of changes will be made to your browsers’ settings. These include the modification of homepage, search engine and new tab page in an attempt to manipulate your internet browsing. Because of such activity, it is classified both as a browser hijacker and a potentially unwanted program.
After the installation of Nav-goo.com, you will abruptly notice various ads of all kinds of pop-ups, banners, in-text links every time you surf the web. Although most of these ads are legitimate, it can’t but denied that some of them are downright misleading and could expose your computer to certain malware threats. Thus, if you continue using this browser extension, instead of improving your browsing experience, it would only do the opposite.
How does Nav-goo.com spread online?
Nav-goo.com, just like other browser hijackers, spreads via freeware or shareware packages found on peer-to-peer sharing networks where it is added as one of the optional components. These optional components are actually hidden under the Custom or Advanced setup so you need to select this setup instead of the quick one to avoid questionable programs from getting installed on your computer.
Use the removal guide given below to remove Nav-goo.com from your computer along with its components.
Step 1: The first thing you have to do to get rid of Nav-goo.com from your computer is to close all the affected browsers manually. If you find it hard to do so, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step 2: Once you’ve pulled up the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the affected browser’s process and end it.
Step 3: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Now switch to the Advanced tab and click the Reset button.
- Then check the box for “Delete personal settings” and then click Reset again.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for Nav-goo.com or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Click on Advanced.
- After that, click the Reset button to reset Google Chrome.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section.
- Tap Alt + H to access Help.
- Next, select “Troubleshooting information” and click “Refresh Firefox” at the top of the page.
- Now click “Refresh Firefox” again to confirm the reset.
Step 4: Open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 5: Look for Nav-goo.com among the list of installed programs and any other suspicious program could be affiliated to it and then Uninstall it.
Step 6: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 7: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files related to Nav-goo.com and delete it/them.
Step 8: Close the File Explorer.
Step 9: Empty the Recycle Bin.
Removing Nav-goo.com won’t be enough so you have to follow the advanced removal guide prepared below.
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.