What is Error Code XLMR01F7985 scam? And how does it work?
Error Code XLMR01F7985 scam is another bogus alert created by cyber criminals to tries to make users believe that their computers are disabled due to a malware in the system. Users are then urged to call a “MS Technical Support” number at (833) 430-6138 in order to fix the problem. Clearly, the crooks behind this bogus alert are trying to imitate Microsoft alerts to deceive users in believing that the alert is from Microsoft. They even include an error code to make it more convincing. However, it’s all a hoax so you must not contact the given number for you will only be reaching out to cyber criminals that will only try to get your personal information from you.
The Error Code XLMR01F7985 scam can get quite annoying as it has the tendency to turn the browser where it is displayed, into full screen. When it happens, you will see the following message on your screen:
** YOUR COMPUTER WAS DISABLED **
Error Code # XLMR01F7985
Call MS Technical Support: (833) 430-6138
Try not to ignore this important warning…
In the event that you leave this without fixing this issue, access to your PC will be expelled to anticipate further obliteration to our system. Your PC has alerted us that it was contaminated with malware. The following information is in threat:
- Facebook Details
- Credit Card Information
- Email Credentials
- Browsing History and Information
You should get in touch with us quickly so our specialists can direct you through the rebuilding procedure by telephone. If it’s not too much trouble call us in the next 3 minutes to avert severe damage/loss data of your PC.
Contact MS Expert: (833) 430-6138 (Toll-Free)”
This kind of bogus alert is displayed on malicious websites. And you can get redirected in one of them when you click on some ads. However, if you keep seeing this alert while browsing the internet, then it could only mean that an adware is installed in your computer and is the one that is triggering the redirects. In such cases, closing the browser won’t simply work. You need to find the adware program and uninstall it to completely be rid of this scam.
How does the Error Code XLMR01F7985 scam spread over the web?
Just like other tech support scams, Error Code XLMR01F7985 scam spreads the web using several techniques. As mentioned, it can spread using ads and aside from that, it also spreads using adware programs. Adware programs are known to trigger bogus alerts. These kinds of programs are found on free sharing sites that offer software bundles. Adware programs are distributed using this kind of software package, so you must have unknowingly installed the adware when you installed a software bundle. To prevent this from happening again, you need to always use the Custom or Advanced setup when installing software bundles.
Refer to the given instructions below to delete the Error Code XLMR01F7985 scam from your browser as well as the adware program that’s causing it.
Step 1: Close the tab or the browser displaying the Error Code XLMR01F7985 scam. However, if your browser is forced to go into full screen mode because of the fake alert, tap F11 in your keyboard to exit full screen mode.
Step 2: After that, try to close the browser manually. If you find it hard to do so, close the browser through the Task Manager.
Step 3: Tap the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to launch the Task Manager.
Step 4: After opening the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the affected browser’s process and end it by clicking End task or End Process.
Step 5: Close the Task Manager and reset all the affected browsers to default.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
- Restart your computer.
Step 6: Tap the Win + R keys to open Run and then type in “appwiz.cpl” to open Programs and Features in Control Panel.
Step 7: From there, look for the adware program or any unfamiliar program that could be related to the Error Code XLMR01F7985 scam under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 8: Close the Control Panel and tap the Win + E keys to open File Explorer.
Step 9: Navigate to the following directories and look for the adware installer like the software bundle it came with as well as other suspicious files and delete them.
Step 10: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain Search.watchtvnow.co.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 11: Now you have to flush the DNS cache of your computer. To do so, right click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and hit Enter to flush the DNS.
Step 12: Close the File Explorer and empty your Recycle Bin.
To make sure that you’ve completely gotten rid of Error Code XLMR01F7985 scam as well as the adware program behind it, you need to use an efficient program like [product-name]. To use it, follow the advanced steps below:
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.