What is Legacy ransomware? And how does it carry out its attack?
Legacy ransomware is a new data-encrypting virus discovered recently that adds a “.legacy” extension to each file it encrypts. It also happens to be a new variant of Nordfox ransomware. Like its predecessor, it is created to lock valuable files in a computer and demand ransom from its victims.
Legacy ransomware begins its attack with a data harvesting module used to collect data in the system. Depending on its exact configuration, it can harvest a limited amount of information or extensive amount of information from the infected computer. The harvested data is then used by its stealth protection component which can hide its presence in the system. This is done by scanning the system for application strings, deleting files used by these apps and by disabling their real-time search engines. Aside from that, this crypto-malware can also disable debug environments and virtual machines which are both used in analyzing the strains.
Moreover, Legacy ransomware also alters the Windows Registry making it a persistent threat that you just can’t easily get rid of. As a result, it can now run on every system startup. After it completes modifying the settings on your computer, it starts looking for files with specific formats and encrypts them using both the AES and RSA encryption algorithms. Following data encryption, it adds the “.legacy” extension to every encrypted file and opens a text file named “HOW TO BACK YOUR FILES.txt” which contains the following message:
“All your important files are encrypted.
To recover encrypted files, you need:
1. Buy bitcoins. The easiest way to buy bitcoins is the LocalBitcoins site. You must register, click “Buy Bitcoins” and select a seller by payment method and price. https://localbitcoins.com/
You can also find other places to buy bitcoins and a beginner’s guide here:
write to google how to buy bitcoin in your country?
to guarantee the availability of our key
we can decrypt three files for free.
2. Send bitcoins to the address you receive in the mail. After payment, we will send a decryption program
Do not try to decrypt your files using third-party programs, decoders. You only damage your data and lose them forever. Only we can decrypt your data!
Contact email address [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]”
How does Legacy ransomware spread over the web?
Legacy ransomware might circulate the internet using malware-laden spam emails. Cyber crooks tend to disguise such emails to make them look like they were sent by some well-known company or group to trick users in downloading and opening the infected attachment. Thus, you have to be more careful in what you download over the internet and make sure to scan file before you open it.
Eliminate Legacy ransomware from the affected computer by following the removal guide provided below.
Step 1: First, tap the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys in your keyboard to open the Task Manager.
Step 2: Under the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for any suspicious-looking process that takes up most of your CPU’s resources and is most likely related to Legacy ransomware.
Step 3: After that, close the Task Manager.
Step 4: Tap Win + R, type in appwiz.cpl and click OK or tap Enter to open Programs and Features under Control Panel.
Step 5: Under the list of installed programs, look for Legacy ransomware or anything similar and then uninstall it.
Step 6: Next, close Control Panel and tap Win + E keys to launch File Explorer.
Step 7: Navigate to the following locations below and look for Legacy ransomware’s malicious components such as HOW TO BACK YOUR FILES.txt and [random].exe and other suspicious files, then delete all of them.
Step 8: Close the File Explorer.
Before you proceed to the next steps below, make sure that you are tech savvy enough to the point where you know exactly how to use and navigate your computer’s Registry. Keep in mind that any changes you make will highly impact your computer. To save you the trouble and time, you can just use [product-name], this system tool is proven to be safe and excellent enough that hackers won’t be able to hack into it. But if you can manage Windows Registry well, then by all means go on to the next steps.
Step 9: Tap Win + R to open Run and then type in regedit in the field and tap enter to pull up Windows Registry.
Step 10: Navigate to the following path:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
- HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\
Step 11: Delete the registry keys and sub-keys created by Legacy ransomware.
Step 12: Close the Registry Editor and empty the Recycle Bin.
Try to recover your encrypted files using the Shadow Volume copies
Restoring your encrypted files using Windows’ Previous Versions feature will only be effective if Legacy ransomware hasn’t deleted the shadow copies of your files. But still, this is one of the best and free methods there is, so it’s definitely worth a shot.
To restore the encrypted file, right-click on it and select Properties, a new window will pop-up, then proceed to Previous Versions. It will load the file’s previous version before it was modified. After it loads, select any of the previous versions displayed on the list like the one in the illustration below. And then click the Restore button.
Complete the removal process of Legacy ransomware by using a trusted and reliable program like [product-name]. Refer to the following guidelines on how to use it.
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.