What is ERIS RANSOMWARE V2 v2? And how does it carry out its attack?
Developers of ERIS ransomware made a comeback as they released a new variant called ERIS RANSOMWARE v2. This new ERIS variant adds a “.OBIDC” extension to every file it encrypts and like its predecessor, leaves files inaccessible and unusable after it encrypts them. According to security experts, this new malware strain spreads using a new exploit kit known as “Lord Exploit kit” which uses the vulnerability in Adobe Flash player. This new exploit kit that pushes the ERIS RANSOMWARE v2 to users uses a compromised website that redirects them to a landing page which is a part of a malvertising campaign. This malvertising campaign then uses the PopCash ad network. After that, it is pushed by a function that checks the computer for the Adobe Flash player program and its version which then leads to the infiltration of ERIS RANSOMWARE v2 in a targeted machine.
The instant it invades a system, ERIS RANSOMWARE v2 will alter essential system settings in the computer and encrypts targeted files using Salsa20 (RSA-1024) encryption algorithm, just like its previous version. Once the encryption is completed, compromised files will become corrupted and the “.OBIDC” extension is added at the end of every file’s name. Following data encryption, ERIS ransomware will open a text file named “HELP-OBIDC.txt” which has the following message:
*** READ THIS FILE CAREFULLY TO RECOVERY YOUR FILES ***
ALL OF YOUR FILES HAVE BEEN ENCRYPTED BY “ERIS RANSOMWARE V2” v2.0.3!
Welcome to Eris System Security Encryption Program!
Keeping strong security for our clients in mind, we have implemented Strong Encryption Algorithm for securing the system.
To personally update regarding the available decryption software and payment methods. Follow the steps below to access the payment page.
Follow the steps below to access payment page.
- Download and install Tor browser from here:
URL – https://www.torproject.org/download/
- Visit page below using Tor browser:
URL – http://epaybfvlutydks6fpfwtwoe2fsph6vve2obgv6qbhyuqwkecbhsf7nyd.onion/2331807b48834c87
- Enter your “ERIS IDENTIFICATION”. (You can find it in below)
- Follow the next steps(instructions) displayed on the page for successful decryption.
We only accept payments via Bitcoin (BTC)!
* IF YOU NOT FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS IN PAYMENT PAGE MORE THAN 1 MONTH,
YOUR CANNOT ACCESS TO PAYMENT PAGE OR YOUR FILES ANYMORE!
* IN CASE OF FOLLOWING OUR INSTRUCTION,
FAST AND EASILY EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL LIKE THAT NEVER HAPPENED!
BUT IF YOU USE OTHER METHODS (THAT NEVER EVER HELPS) YOU JUST DESTROY EVERYTHING FOR GOODNESS!
* DO NOT MODIFY ENCRYPTED FILE(S)
* DO NOT MOVE ENCRYPTED FILES
* DO NOT USE RECOVERY SOFTWARE(S)
How does ERIS RANSOMWARE v2 spread online?
As pointed out, the new ERIS RANSOMWARE v2 spreads online using a new exploit kit called Lord Exploit Kit which uses the vulnerability in Adobe Flash Players to infect a computer. Specifically, the exploit kit that distributes this ransomware threat uses a compromised website to redirect users to a landing page that uses a malvertising campaign which uses the PopCash ad network.
Terminate ERIS RANSOMWARE v2 from your computer with the help of the removal instructions laid out below.
Step 1: First, boot your computer into Safe Mode with Networking and afterwards, you have to terminate the malicious processes of ERIS RANSOMWARE v2 using the Task Manager and to open it, tap Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys.
Step 2: Go to the Processes tab and look for the malicious processes of ERIS RANSOMWARE v2 and right click on each one of them and then select End Process or End Task.
Step 3: Close the Task Manager and open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in “appwiz.cpl” and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 4: Look for dubious programs that might by related to ERIS RANSOMWARE v2 and then Uninstall it/them.
Step 5: Close Control Panel and then tap Win + E to launch File Explorer.
Step 6: After opening File Explorer, navigate to the following directories below:
Step 7: From these directories, look for the malicious components of ERIS RANSOMWARE v2 such as HELP-OBIDC.txt and [random].exe and then delete all of them
Before you proceed to the next steps below, make sure that you are tech savvy enough to the point where you know exactly how to use and navigate your computer’s Registry. Keep in mind that any changes you make will highly impact your computer. To save you the trouble and time, you can just use [product-name], this system tool is proven to be safe and excellent enough that hackers won’t be able to hack into it. But if you can manage Windows Registry well, then by all means go on to the next steps.
Step 8: Close the File Explorer and tap Win + R to open Run and then type in regedit in the field and tap enter to pull up Windows Registry.
Step 9: Navigate to the listed paths below and look for the registry keys and sub-keys created by ERIS RANSOMWARE v2.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
- HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\
Step 10: Delete the registry keys and sub-keys created by ERIS RANSOMWARE v2.
Step 11: Close the Registry Editor.
Step 12: Empty your Recycle Bin.
Try to recover your encrypted files using their Shadow Volume copies
Restoring your encrypted files using Windows’ Previous Versions feature will only be effective if ERIS RANSOMWARE v2 hasn’t deleted the shadow copies of your files. But still, this is one of the best and free methods there is, so it’s definitely worth a shot.
To restore the encrypted file, right-click on it and select Properties, a new window will pop-up, then proceed to Previous Versions. It will load the file’s previous version before it was modified. After it loads, select any of the previous versions displayed on the list like the one in the illustration below. And then click the Restore button.
Once you’re done executing the steps given above, you need to continue the removal process of ERIS RANSOMWARE v2 using a reliable program like [product-name]. How? Follow the advanced removal steps below.
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.