What is Cbs0z ransomware? And how does it carry out its attack?
Cbs0z ransomware is a file-encrypting virus designed to lock important data in a computer. This new ransomware threat uses a “.cbs0z” extension in marking the files it encrypts. According to security experts, it is a new variant of Snatch ransomware based on its code snippets which have similarities with Snatch ransomware.
The instant it manages to infiltrate a computer, it will download and create more malicious files that help it in executing its attack. These files are placed in system folders and keep Cbs0z ransomware from being detected by antivirus programs installed on the computer. Moreover, it also modifies the Windows Registry so it can achieve persistence that will make its removal even harder. Once it’s done altering important system settings, Cekisan ransomware will scan the system for its targeted files like .doc, .docx, .jpg, .lnk, .pdf, .xls, and .xlsx. These files are encrypted using a sophisticated encryption algorithm. After encryption, it adds the .cekisan suffix to every encrypted file and opens the RESTORE_CBS0Z_DATA.txt ransom note that states:
“1. Decoding cost
The cost of decryption is 6000$. (Bitcoin is a form of digital
in 72 hours the price will be 10,000 dollars.
Smart pays quickly. Immediately after payment – all your files will be restored.
Do not rename encrypted files.
Do not try to decrypt your data using third party software, it may
cause permanent data loss.
Decryption of your files with the help of third parties may cause
increased price (they add their fee to our) or you can become a
of a scam.
IMPORTANT! – if you, your programmers or your friends will help you
decrypt your files – this can lead to data loss. even when you pay
we will not be able to help you. Do not joke with files.
How is the payload file of Cbs0z ransomware distributed online?
Just like Snatch ransomware, Cbs0z ransomware spreads using several tactics such as unprotected RDP configuration, deceptive downloads, botnets, exploit kits, fake software or software updates, and spam emails. Although it mostly uses spam emails with malicious attachment used to install the crypt-malware in the system. This malicious attachment may be a PDF file, ZIP file, or a document with macro scripts that once opened, will initiate the attack in the system.
Eliminate Cbs0z ransomware and its malicious components from your compromised computer with the help of the removal guide laid out below.
Step 1: The first thing you need to do is to obliterate the process of Cbs0z ransomware by opening the Task Manager – simply tap the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys on your keyboard.
Step 2: After that, switch to the Processes tab and look for the following processes that are related to Cbs0z ransomware and then end them all.
Step 3: Now that the malicious processes are eliminated, close the Task Manager.
Step 4: Next, tap Win + R, type in appwiz.cpl and click OK or tap Enter to open Control Panel’s list of installed programs.
Step 5: Under the list of installed programs, look for Cbs0z ransomware or anything similar and then uninstall it.
Step 6: Then close Control Panel and tap Win + E keys to launch File Explorer.
Step 7: Navigate to the following locations below and look for the malicious components of Cbs0z ransomware like the file named RESTORE_CBS0Z_DATA.txt, 1.exe and [random].exe as well as other suspicious files it has created and downloaded into the system and then delete all of them.
Step 8: Close the File Explorer.
Before you go on any further, make sure that you are tech savvy enough to the point where you know exactly how to use and navigate your computer’s Registry. Keep in mind that any changes you make will highly impact your computer. To save you the trouble and time, you can just use [product-name] this system tool is proven to be safe and excellent enough that hackers won’t be able to hack into it. But if you can manage Windows Registry well, then by all means go on to the next steps.
Step 9: Tap Win + R to open Run and then type in regedit in the field and tap enter to pull up Windows Registry.
Step 10: Navigate to the following paths:
- <HKLM>\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
- <HKLM>\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server
- <HKLM>\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Error Message Instrument\
- <HKLM>\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize
- <HKLM>\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Compatibility32
- <HKLM>\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IME Compatibility
- <HKLM>\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
- <HKLM>\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics
Step 11: Delete the registry keys and sub-keys created by Cbs0z ransomware.
Step12. Close the Registry Editor and empty the Recycle Bin.
Try to recover your encrypted files using the Shadow Volume copies
Restoring your encrypted files using Windows’ Previous Versions feature will only be effective if Cbs0z ransomware hasn’t deleted the shadow copies of your files. But still, this is one of the best and free methods there is, so it’s definitely worth a shot.
To restore the encrypted file, right-click on it and select Properties, a new window will pop-up, then proceed to Previous Versions. It will load the file’s previous version before it was modified. After it loads, select any of the previous versions displayed on the list like the one in the illustration below. And then click the Restore button.
After you’ve covered the steps provided above, you need to continue the removal process of Cbs0z ransomware using a reliable program like [product-name]. How? Follow the advanced removal steps below.
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.