What is Topreward.site? And how does it work?
Topreward.site is a questionable website that displays a deceiving alert making users believe that they have won some hidden prize and that they will be added into the site’s Hall of Fame and receive some certificate. No matter how enticing this alert may seem, it’s actually a hoax so if you have encountered this scam, read on as this post will provide you more information about it as well as how you can erase it from your computer.
It is clear that Topreward.site can’t be trusted so you must not fall into its tarp. You can inadvertently visit this site when you click on some misleading ads online or when there is an ad-supported program installed in your computer. When you get redirected to Topreward.site, you will see the following deceiving message on your browser:
“You’ve made the 5-billionth search.
You were evaluated as the winner of today’s 5-billionth search query a few minutes ago by our system! Our last winner was – who won a Samsung KU6179 Ultra HD TV with his 5-billionth Search. We are proud to announce that you are our next winner. Every time the 5-billionth search is reached, we proclaim a winner and reset the counter. You may choose one of three hidden prizes below. In addition, you will be entered in our Hall of Fame and receive a winner’s certificate. Behind every blue cup is a prize. Click on a prize cup to uncover it. For technical reasons, we are not allowed to keep your invitation open for more than 15 minutes. Choose one of the prizes below and follow the instructions on your screen.”
How does Topreward.site spread over the web?
Like other adware, Topreward.site spreads over the web using malicious domains and ads. Aside from that, it can also spread using adware programs that are included on free software packages or software bundles. Software bundles are distributed on free sharing sites so if you recently installed one, then it might be the reason why you keep getting redirected to Topreward.site. To prevent this from happening in the future, you must always opt for the Advanced or Custom setup when installing free software packages instead of opting for the quick setup.
Use the removal guide laid out below to erase Topreward.site from your browser and computer successfully.
Step 1: Close the tab or the browser displaying the Topreward.site. However, if your browser is forced to go into full screen mode because of the fake alert, tap F11 in your keyboard to exit full screen mode.
Step 2: After that, try to close the browser manually. If you find it hard to do so, close the browser through the Task Manager.
Step 3: Tap the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to launch the Task Manager.
Step 4: After opening the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the affected browser’s process and end it by clicking End task or End Process.
Step 5: Close the Task Manager and reset all the affected browsers to default.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
- Restart your computer.
Step 6: Tap the Win + R keys to open Run and then type in “appwiz.cpl” to open Programs and Features in Control Panel.
Step 7: From there, look for the adware program or any unfamiliar program that could be related to the Topreward.site under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 8: Close the Control Panel and tap the Win + E keys to open File Explorer.
Step 9: Navigate to the following directories and look for the adware installer like the software bundle it came with as well as other suspicious files and delete them.
Step 10: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain Topreward.site.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 11: Now you have to flush the DNS cache of your computer. To do so, right click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and hit Enter to flush the DNS.
Step 12: Close the File Explorer and empty your Recycle Bin.
To make sure that you’ve completely gotten rid of Topreward.site as well as the adware program behind it, you need to use an efficient program like [product-name]. To use it, follow the advanced steps below:
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.