What is + 1 (888) 512-5801 Microsoft Tech Support Scam? And how does it work?
+ 1 (888) 512-5801 Microsoft Tech Support Scam is a tech support scam, as its name suggests. It was discovered recently and is designed to trick users into thinking that there is some Trojan/worm/ransomware infection in their computers and that they have to call “Microsoft Technical Support” at “+ 1 (888) 512-5801” in order to eliminate the malware.
Tech support scams like this one are often found on suspicious websites. You can get redirected to sites that host such scams when you click on some ads or when there is an ad-supported program or adware installed in your computer that’s causing redirects to this tech support scam. So if you get redirected to a site displaying this scam, you should know better than to call the fake tech support number for the one’s that will answer your call are not tech support but cyber criminals that will try to coax you into installing a shady program or make you pay for an unnecessary service. Aside from that, you might also unknowingly grant them remote access to your computer so you must not be fooled by this scam. If you keep seeing this scam every time you browse the web, then that only means that there is some adware program installed in your computer and unless you get rid of this adware, you will keep seeing this tech support scam as you browse the web. When you get redirected to a site that hosts this tech support scam, you will see the following message on your screen:
“Trojan.worm! Ransomware! Infection!
Call Microsoft Technical Support
Immediately at + 1 (888) 512-5801
Serious danger of data stealth!
If you will continue, following information can be compromised:
- Passwords history
- Browser history files
- Your Credit Cards Data”
How does + 1 (888) 512-5801 Microsoft Tech Support Scam circulate the web?
As mentioned, this tech support scam circulates the web via ads and malicious sites. Aside from that, adware programs can also trigger redirects to this scam. Adware programs are commonly found bundled with other unwanted program in a package known as software bundles. If you just recently installed a software bundle, then that might be the reason why you keep seeing the scam. To get rid of the scam, you need to get rid of the adware installed in your computer.
Get rid of the + 1 (888) 512-5801 Microsoft Tech Support Scam by following the removal guide prepared below.
Step 1: Close the tab or the browser displaying the + 1 (888) 512-5801 Microsoft Tech Support Scam. However, if your browser is forced to go into full screen mode because of the fake alert, tap F11 in your keyboard to exit full screen mode.
Step 2: After that, try to close the browser manually. If you find it hard to do so, close the browser through the Task Manager.
Step 3: Tap the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to launch the Task Manager.
Step 4: After opening the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the affected browser’s process and end it by clicking End task or End Process.
Step 5: Close the Task Manager and reset all the affected browsers to default.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
- Restart your computer.
Step 6: Tap the Win + R keys to open Run and then type in “appwiz.cpl” to open Programs and Features in Control Panel.
Step 7: From there, look for the adware program or any unfamiliar program that could be related to the + 1 (888) 512-5801 Microsoft Tech Support Scam under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 8: Close the Control Panel and tap the Win + E keys to open File Explorer.
Step 9: Navigate to the following directories and look for the adware installer like the software bundle it came with as well as other suspicious files and delete them.
Step 10: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain Search.watchtvnow.co.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 11: Now you have to flush the DNS cache of your computer. To do so, right click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and hit Enter to flush the DNS.
Step 12: Close the File Explorer and empty your Recycle Bin.
To make sure that you’ve completely gotten rid of + 1 (888) 512-5801 Microsoft Tech Support Scam as well as the adware program behind it, you need to use an efficient program like [product-name]. To use it, follow the advanced steps below:
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.