What is Searchguide.level3.com? And how does it function?
Searchguide.level3.com is a suspicious browser extension that changes both the DNS and browser settings of a computer once it is installed which is why it is classified as a browser hijacker and a potentially unwanted program by security experts. It supposedly functions as an online search provider that claims to improve users’ browsing experience by giving them better search results. Contrary to what it claims, Searchguide.level3.com does not really improve your browsing experience. In fact, when you use it and search for information online, instead of getting relevant search results, it mostly provides sponsored content from its affiliated sites.
We may disclose, assign, sell, license, or otherwise transfer to a third party, your name, address, e-mail address, member name and any other PII in connection with an assignment, sale, joint venture, or other transfer or disposition of a portion or all of our assets or capital stock.”
As you can see, Searchguide.level3.com isn’t safe to use as it only jeopardizes not just your computer’s security but also your personal information and privacy. The best thing you can do is to get rid of this pesky browser hijacker as soon as you can before it’s too late.
How is Searchguide.level3.com distributed over the web?
Searchguide.level3.com is distributed using the software bundling technique. Along with other suspicious programs, it is added as one of the optional components in a software bundle. This is why if you install software bundles, you need to do so using the Advanced or Custom setup instead of the quick one as this setup allows you to get rid of any extra programs added in the package before you proceed with the installation.
Get rid of Searchguide.level3.com by following the removal instructions given below.
Step 1: The first thing you have to do is flush the DNS. To do so, right click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and hit Enter to flush the DNS.
Step 2: After that, restart your computer and then open all the browsers infected by Searchguide.level3.com. Reset all the affected browsers to default to their default state.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
- Restart your computer.
Step 3: Next, tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type “appwiz.cpl” in the field and press Enter to open the Programs and Features in Control Panel.
Step 4: From the list of programs installed, look for Searchguide.level3.com or any unfamiliar program that could be related to it under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain Searchguide.level3.com.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 7: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to the browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 8: Close the File Explorer.
Step 9: Empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
Refer to the advanced instructions given below to ensure the removal of Searchguide.level3.com as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.