What is CinemaFanatic Toolbar? And how does it work?
CinemaFanatic Toolbar is a toolbar for browsers that allegedly allows users to access movies online for free in just three easy steps. It is developed by Mindspark Interactive Network – a company known to develop tons of browser hijackers and unwanted programs.
- Read and change your data on a number of websites
- Replace the page you see when opening a new tab
- Read your browsing history
- Display notifications
- Manage your downloads
If you install CinemaFanatic Toolbar, it will alter the settings of your browser including the default homepage, search provider and new tab page. As a result, you won’t have much choice but to use this browser hijacker as you browse the web. If you think that this browser is not really harmful, then you really don’t know what it’s capable of. In fact, as soon as it gets installed, it will gather your browsing information that might include personal ones. Usually browser hijackers like CinemaFanatic Toolbar collects the following data:
- Your name
- Your address
- Email address
- Number of your page views
- What links you clicked
- Telephone number
- Username and password
- Browser type
- Preferred language
- Other browser-related data
- Keyword query, search query text and search results you clicked on
- Adverts clicked and cookie data
- Your login times
As you can see, there is no point in using this browser extension for not only is it a threat to your privacy but also brings potential malware infestation as the ads it displays can redirect you to suspicious websites which may be filled with malicious contents. Thus, you have to delete CinemaFanatic Toolbar from your computer before it’s too late.
How is CinemaFanatic Toolbar disseminated over the web?
CinemaFanatic Toolbar is distributed with the help of the software bundling technique. This technique is commonly used by browser hijacker developers as it allows their programs to get installed in a computer without permission from users. This is why installing software bundles is kind of risky if you don’t know what you’re doing and if you don’t pay much attention during the installation process. To avoid any unwanted program installation, you have to opt for the Advanced or Custom setup whenever you really have to install a program from a software bundle.
Remove CinemaFanatic Toolbar from your browser and PC with the help of the removal guide given below.
Step 1: You need to close the browser infected with the browser hijacker. And if you can’t close it manually, you can close it using the Task Manager instead. Tap the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys and open the Task Manager.
Step 2: Next, look for the process of your browser, right click on it and select End task or End process to close it.
Step 3: Afterwards, tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type “appwiz.cpl” in the field and press Enter to open the Programs and Features in Control Panel.
Step 4: From the list of programs installed, look for any programs that could be related to CinemaFanatic Toolbar or any suspicious program you don’t remember installing under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain CinemaFanatic Toolbar.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Now you have to flush the DNS cache of your computer. To do so, right click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and hit Enter to flush the DNS.
Step 7: After that, restart your computer and then open your browsers and reset them back to their default state.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
- Restart your computer.
Step 8: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 9: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to the browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 10: Close the File Explorer and empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
Refer to the advanced instructions given below to ensure the removal of this browser hijacker from your computer as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.