What is Wsevosteran? And how does it function?
Wsevosteran, also known as Vosteran Search, is a browser extension that allegedly functions as a search engine that claims to enhance users’ browsing experience by providing them improved search results. It also provides quick links to several popular websites like Booking.com, Trip Advisor, Ali Express, and many more. It may seem like a useful browser extension, however, don’t let it fool you for it’s actually classified as a browser hijacker and a PUP or potentially unwanted program.
It is clear that Wsevosteran isn’t safe to use and can’t be trusted because if it gets installed, Wsevosteran will modify the default settings in your browser like the default search provider, homepage and new tab page. Aside from its hijacking abilities, this browser hijacker could also install other browser extensions, add-ons and toolbars in your browser. This is done to ensure that Wsevosteran can manipulate your browsing and so it can redirect you to its affiliated sites. It also delivers tons of sponsored content, although some of them are legitimate, others are downright suspicious and shady and could redirect you to harmful web pages. What’s equally worse is that it could also spy on all your browsing habits to collect information like your search queries, IP address, ads clicked, and other browsing-related information. The collected information are then used to bring you more ads, personalized and customized ones in order to lure you into opening them.
How is Wsevosteran distributed over the web?
Wsevosteran is distributed over the web via freeware and shareware you can find in free sharing sites. This shady program is added as one of the extra components in the package that is hidden along with other questionable programs. And unless you opt for the Custom or Advanced installation setup, you will definitely end up installing all the extra components in a software package. To prevent this kind of scenario, it’s always best to use the aforementioned installation setup when you install any freeware or shareware packages instead of the usual standard or quick setup.
You can uninstall Wsevosteran from your browser and computer by following the removal instructions provided below as well as the advanced steps that follow.
Step 1: First, you have to close the browser infected with the browser hijacker. And if you can’t close it manually, you can close it using the Task Manager instead. Tap the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys and open the Task Manager.
Step 2: Next, look for the process of your browser, right click on it and select End task or End process to close it.
Step 3: Afterwards, tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type “appwiz.cpl” in the field and press Enter to open the Programs and Features in Control Panel.
Step 4: From the list of programs installed, look for any programs that could be related to Wsevosteran or any suspicious program you don’t remember installing under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain Wsevosteran.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Now you have to flush the DNS cache of your computer. To do so, right click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and hit Enter to flush the DNS.
Step 7: Next, hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 8: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to the browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 9: Close the File Explorer and empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
Step 10: After that, restart your computer and then open your browsers and reset them back to their default state.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
- Restart your computer.
Refer to the advanced instructions given below to ensure the removal of this browser hijacker from your computer as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.