What is Getlive.news Redirect? And how does it function?
Getlive.news is a browser extension that allegedly provides users with live news online. It can be found in the Chrome Web Store as well as other sites. Even though it can be found in this legitimate source, that does not mean that Getlive.news Redirect can be trusted. In fact, it is categorized as a browser hijacker and a potentially unwanted program that could modify the settings of the affected browser.
Keep in mind that once the changes applied by this browser hijacker to your browser aren’t that simple to fix. In fact, it will be difficult for you to change them back to their original settings. This is one of the reasons why some users consider this program to be malicious even when it’s really not. However, even though it is not considered to be malicious by security experts, this browser hijacker is still not safe to use. Why? Simply because when you use it to search for some keywords or queries online, it will only give you modified and inaccurate results. Most of the results it displays are pop-ups, banners, in-text links and other sponsored contents. Some of the ads could even lead you to suspicious websites like sites that will ask you to answer some online survey or offer dubious free software or software update. Needless to say, using Getlive.news Redirect is pointless and even risky – risky in a way that you might put both your privacy and computer’s security in jeopardy as this browser hijacker can track all your online activities in order to record all the information you input online including your IP address, websites you often visit, browsing history and so much more.
How is Getlive.news Redirect disseminated over the web?
As mentioned, Getlive.news Redirect is disseminated in the Chrome Web Store. In addition, it can also be found being distributed on free sharing sites or peer-to-peer networks where it is added as one of the optional components along with other unwanted and suspicious programs.
Uninstall Getlive.news Redirect from your browser and your computer by using the instructions given below as a reference.
Step 1: You have to flush the DNS cache of your computer first. To do so, right click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and tap Enter to flush the DNS.
Step 2: After that, restart your computer and then open all the browsers infected by Getlive.news Redirect. Reset all the affected browsers to default to their default state.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
- Restart your computer.
Step 3: Next, tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type “appwiz.cpl” in the field and press Enter to open the Programs and Features in Control Panel.
Step 4: From the list of programs installed, look for Getlive.news Redirect or any unfamiliar program that could be related to it under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain Getlive.news Redirect.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 7: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to the browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 8: Close the File Explorer.
Step 9: Empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
Refer to the advanced instructions given below to ensure the removal of this browser hijacker from your computer as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.