What is Crossout.net? And how does it work?
Crossout.net is a dubious website that offers users a game called “Crossout” which they can play for free. Based on its appearance alone, Crossout.net may seem like a legitimate website. However, don’t let its looks fool you for it is actually categorized as an adware program. Meaning to say, you can inadvertently visit this shady website when there is a presence of an adware in your system.
When you click on the “PLAY FOR FREE” button on the website, a form will appear where you’ll have to input some information like your email address before you can play the game. As you know an email address that is considered to be personally identifiable information. Thus giving out this information is certainly not recommended. Another sign that your computer is really infected with an adware is when you see the following messages on your status bar:
- “Waiting for Crossout.net”
- “Looking up Crossout.net”
- “Connected to Crossout.net”
- “Transferring data from Crossout.net”
These messages clearly signify that an adware is installed on your computer and is causing such pop-ups. In addition, this adware also monitors your browsing habits so it can obtain your browsing-related information like browsing history, IP address, websites you visit often, etc. The information obtained might be shared with its affiliated third parties and will be processed to bring in more ads. This is why you need to get rid of Crossout.net by eliminating the adware program behind it before it can cause security and privacy issues.
How does Crossout.net circulate the web?
As mentioned, Crossout.net circulates the web using adware programs and these adware programs are distributed on free sharing sites where it is bundled with other suspicious programs in a single package. To avoid adware programs and other unwanted ones from getting installed, you must select the Advanced or Custom setup when installing any freeware or shareware.
Get rid of Crossout.net from your computer by following the instructions provided below.
Step 1: Start the removal process by closing all the browsers infected with Crossout.net. If you’re having a hard time closing them, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step 2: After you open the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the affected browser’s process and end it.
Step 3: Then close the Task Manager and open Control Panel – to do so, tap the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 4: After pulling up Control Panel, from the list of installed programs, look for Crossout.net or any suspicious program you don’t remember installing and then Uninstall it.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the host’s file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain Crossout.net.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for Crossout.net or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Select “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- Click the More actions button next to the hijacker and click Remove.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Step 7: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 8: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated with the adware such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 9: Close the File Explorer.
Step 10: Empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
Refer to the advanced instructions given below to ensure the removal of Crossout.net as well as the adware program behind it.
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.