What is PC Keeper? And how does it work?
PC Keeper is a program that’s supposed to help users in fixing errors, removing junk files and repairing bad registry entries. It is a legitimate program created by Essentware which is previously called Kromtech. According to its developer, PC Keeper is a great optimization and protection software package which is compatible on all versions of Windows. They also claim that this program is capable of increasing your computer’s speed and prevents malware infiltration.
PC Keeper may sound so helpful and promising but just so you know, it is under the category of potentially unwanted programs (PUP) due to its peculiarities. One thing that may prevent you from testing its effectiveness is the fact that you have to pay a hefty amount of $39.95 for you to remove the detected errors on your computer. It is quite pricey considering the fact that there is no assurance of its efficiency. Moreover, PC Keeper might cause the following annoying activities on your computer if installed:
- Constant appearance of pop-ups and ads that promotes its full version
- It continues to scan your system and reports about bad registries on your computer which displays alarming numbers of errors, junk files, etc.
- It can also slow down your computer instead of increasing its speed like it claimed to do.
How is PC Keeper distributed online?
Another thing that adds up to the reason why you must remove it is that aside from its official distribution site, this PUP is also distributed on free sharing sites that offer software bundles. Such distribution technique is used by cyber crooks in spreading their infected programs. Although some programs are legitimate, however, these programs are bundled with unwanted and infected programs.
So if PC Keeper sneaked its way into your computer without your permission, then you must get rid of it as soon as possible. To do so, follow the removal steps below:
Step 1: Open Windows Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc at the same time.
Step 2: Go to the Processes tab and look for PC Keeper and other suspicious processes.
Step 3: Right-click on the files, click Open File Location and then scan them using a reputable antivirus program such as SpyRemover Pro. After opening their folders, end their processes and delete their folders. If the virus scanner fails to detect something that you know is suspicious, don’t hesitate to delete it.
Step 4: Open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 5: Look for PC Keeper or any suspicious program responsible for the scam and then Uninstall it.
Step 6: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 7: Go to the directories listed below and delete everything in it. Or other directories you might have saved the file related to PC Keeper.
Step 8: Look for PC Keeper’s installer or the software bundle it came with.
Step 9: Right-click on it and click Delete.
Step 10: Empty your Recycle Bin.
To ensure the removal of PC Keeper and its components, follow the advanced guide below:
Perform a full system scan using SpyRemover Pro. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOSscreen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Optionuse the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Boxwill show up.
- Type in explorer http://www.fixmypcfree.com/install/spyremoverpro
A single space must be in between explorer and http. Click OK.
- A dialog box will be displayed by Internet Explorer. Click Run to begin downloading SpyRemover Pro. Installation will start automatically once download is done.
- Click OK to launch SpyRemover Pro.
- Run SpyRemover Proand perform a full system scan.
- After all the infections are identified, click REMOVE ALL.
- Register SpyRemover Proto protect your computer from future threats.