If your Windows 10 PC has Bluetooth and you suddenly encounter an error message in the General tab of the Bluetooth driver properties window stating, “This device cannot start (Code 10), STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE”, then you need to read this post as it will provide a couple of options you need to check out to fix the problem. Error “STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE” is also known as btmshellex.dll error which may also generate a popup that has a message that goes like this, “There was a problem starting C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\btmshellex.dll. The specified module could not be found”.
There are two options you can try to fix this problem on your Windows 10 PC. Follow these options below.
Option #1 – Try to re-register btmshellex.dll
You might be able to fix the problem by re-registering the btmshellex.dll file since the problem is related to this particular DLL file. The problem mainly occurs when this DLL file gets corrupted while upgrading from an older version or installing a Windows update that would result to the Bluetooth device not working properly. Follow these steps to re-register the btmshellex.dll file:
- Open the Command Prompt with administrator privilege.
- After opening Command Prompt, type in this command: regsvr32 /u btmshellex.dll
- Executing the command you entered won’t take a long time and after it’s done, type in another command: regsvr32 btmshellex.dll
- Wait for the process to complete and then restart your PC. You should now be able to use Bluetooth without any issues.
Option #2 – Try to reinstall or update the Bluetooth driver
If your motherboard disc has a Bluetooth driver but you forgot to install it when you install Windows 10 then you might want to consider installing it as soon as you can as it can cause the error “STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE”. However, if the Bluetooth driver is already installed, you have to check if there is any pending update that has to be installed or not – to do so, follow the steps below.
- Tap the Win + X keys to open the Device Manager.
- Next, look for the Bluetooth device and right click on it.
- Select the option “Update driver”.
- After that, a new popup window will appear. In there, select the option, “Search automatically for updated driver software”.
Note: Checking the update may take a few minutes so you’ll have to wait until it finishes. If it is able to find an update, you must install it. You can also use the System File Checker if none of the two options given above worked.
To run the System File Checker, follow these steps:
- Tap Win + R to launch Run.
- Type in cmd in the field and tap Enter.
- After opening Command Prompt, type in sfc /scannow
The command will start a system scan which will take a few while before it finishes. Once it’s done, you could get the following results:
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
- Restart your PC after the scan is completed.
For other computer issues, there is a one-click solution you could check out – this program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below.
Perform a full system scan using PC Cleaner Pro. To do so, follow the instructions below.
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in explorer http://www.fixmypcfree.com/install/pccleanerpro
A single space must be in between explorer and http. Click OK.
- A dialog box will be displayed by Internet Explorer. Click Run to begin downloading PC Cleaner Pro. The installation will start automatically once a download is done.
- Click OK to launch PC Cleaner Pro.
- Run the program and click the Click to Start Scan button to perform a full system scan.
- After all the infections are identified, click FIX ALL.