You might get the System Restore error, “The specified object was not found (0x80042308)” if System Restore hasn’t been completed successfully on your Windows 10 PC. This post will provide a couple of workarounds you can use as a reference to help fix the issue.
Before you start troubleshooting the problem, you have to try rebooting your PC first as a simple reboot usually fixes the problem. However, if it didn’t change a thing, follow the options given below.
Option #1 – Disable your antivirus program temporarily
Disabling the antivirus program on your PC can help you figure out what the root cause of the problem really is. Just remember that you can’t keep your antivirus program disabled for a long period of time as it might cause another problem. So if you find that disabling your antivirus fixes the issue, you can either update your antivirus or install another one like SpyRemover Pro.
Option #2 – Put your PC into a Clean Boot State
Putting your PC into a Clean Boot State helps you in verifying if the problem is caused by some third party app. To rule out this possibility, follow the steps below.
- Log onto your PC as administrator.
- Type in msconfig in the Start Search to open the System Configuration utility.
- From there, go to the General tab and click “Selective startup”.
- Clear the “Load Startup items” check box and make sure that the “Load System Services” and “Use Original boot configuration” options are checked.
- Next, click the Services tab and select “Hide All Microsoft Services” check box.
- Click Disable all.
- Click on Apply/OK and restart your PC. (This will put your PC into a Clean Boot State. And configure Windows to use the usual startup, just simply undo the changes.)
After putting your PC in a Clean Boot State, try creating a system restore point and see if the problem still occurs. Clean Boot troubleshooting is designed to help you isolate the problem. For you to execute a clean boot troubleshooting, you must do a couple of actions (the steps are given above) and then restart your PC after every action. You might have to disable one third party app after the other to really isolate the issue. And once you’ve narrowed down the problem, you can either disable the third party app that’s causing the problem or remove it. Note that you must switch your PC back into the Normal Startup mode after you’re done troubleshooting the problem. Here’s how you can do it:
- From the “Start” menu, go to System Configuration.
- After that, switch to the General tab and click the option for “Normal Startup”.
- Next, go to the Services tab and clear the checkbox for “Hide all Microsoft services”.
- Then find and click “Enable all” and if prompted, you have to confirm.
- Afterwards, go to the Task Manager and enable all the Startup programs and confirm the action.
- Restart your PC when prompted.
Option #3 – Remove all the system restore points and restart the Volume Shadow Copy Service
The “The specified object was not found (0x80042308)” System Restore error might be caused by corrupt Volume Shadow Copy so you must run the System File Checker.
To run the System File Checker, follow these steps:
- Tap Win + R to launch Run.
- Type in cmd in the field and tap Enter.
- After opening Command Prompt, type in sfc /scannow
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
- Restart your PC after the scan is completed.
After you run the System File Checker, proceed to the following steps to remove all the previous restore points:
- From the Start menu, go to Properties of Computer.
- Next, go to the Advanced system settings
- Under the System Protection tab, select the available drives with protection.
- After that, go to Configure and click the option “Turn off system protection”.
- Turn on the protection on again.
Once you completed the steps above, follow the next ones below to restart the Volume Shadow Copy service:
- In the search bar, type in “services.msc” to open the Services Manager.
- Under the list of Services, look for the “Volume Shadow Copy Service”.
- Right click on it and then Stop the service and then Start it once again.
There is also a one-click solution you could check out to resolve the “The specified object was not found (0x80042308)” System Restore error. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For the complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below.
Perform a full system scan using PC Cleaner Pro. To do so, follow the instructions below.
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in explorer http://www.fixmypcfree.com/install/pccleanerpro
A single space must be in between explorer and http. Click OK.
- A dialog box will be displayed by Internet Explorer. Click Run to begin downloading PC Cleaner Pro. The installation will start automatically once a download is done.
- Click OK to launch PC Cleaner Pro.
- Run the program and click the Click to Start Scan button to perform a full system scan.
- After all the infections are identified, click FIX ALL.